102 West Main Street

Berryville, Virginia 22611

Address

  • Facebook
  • Instagram

©2019 by Battletown Inn

hours

Wed-Sun

Bakery: 8-3 p.m.

Breakfast 8-11:30 a.m.

Lunch 11:30-3 p.m.

Brunch buffet only on Sundays 8-3 p.m.

opening 2020

The newly renovated ​Inn on the property will have nine rooms to accommodate both single and double occupancy and provide a modern country getaway for visiting guests. 

our history

Originally constructed in 1809 by Benjamin Berry, founder of the town of Berryville, the Battletown Inn can trace its hospitality roots back almost 200 years. Serving first as a home to Mr. Berry’s daughter, Sarah Stribling, the Inn was host to many gatherings in the small community then known as Battletown. In the later 19th century, wounded soldiers were cared for within the building while it served as a military hospital. Tales are still told about the distraught Confederate who hung himself in what is now the Gray Ghost Tavern after learning his love had married a Union soldier. And, to this day, many have insisted that they have experienced his presence.

In the 1920’s the Inn began welcoming guests as the “Sign of the Motor Coach Inn.” The name Battletown was adopted in 1936 when Mary Murray purchased the property and opened a restaurant specializing in country cuisine. Today the historic building has been renovated and revitalized. The Battletown Inn offers southern comfort foods with a contemporary twist in an elegant, yet relaxed setting. Executive Chef Brian Whitson prepares succulent dishes that are sure to delight.

History of Clarke County
Clarke County, named for Revolutionary War hero, George Rogers Clarke, was formed in 1836 from Frederick County. This area was part of Lord Fairfax’s 5 million acre property. A young George Washington surveyed the area for Lord Fairfax. In the latter part of the 18th century, many descendants of Tidewater Virginia’s most prestigious families moved here, bringing with them their plantation lifestyle and love of fox hunting.

During the Civil War, Clarke County was protected by Colonel John S. Mosby and his famous Rangers. Those local homes spared from burning by Federal troops owe thanks to The Grey Ghost and his men. During July 1864, Cool Spring Farm along the Shenandoah River witnessed the Battle of Berryville. In August 1864, during The Berryville Train Raid, Mosby’s Rangers chased a group of Federals into town who took refuge in the Berryville Baptist Church, where bullet holes remain as evidence of the raid. After the war, largely undamaged Clarke settled back to farming. In the early 1900s, wealthy industrialists bought and restored many aging plantation homes to their former glory. Today, life in Clarke County is still based on the rhythms of the seasons and the Shenandoah River.

Courtesy of the Clarke County Historical Association